Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Sorrento, Italy Day10 18Aug2010

To get to Sorrento, I took the train a little further south to Salerno
(30min train ride from Napoli) and worked my way to Almafi and then
Sorrento. Compared to Napoli, Salerno is much much clearner and more
laid back. It's also got a seaport for going to the nearby coastal
destinations and a train to Pompei. It's possibly a very good
alternative to Napoli as a base for visiting the nearby attractions.
Planned to use the bus from Salerno to Amalfi, and then from Amalfi to
Sorrento. It would have been at least 3 times cheaper, but I'm glad
the plan failed because I got see some extremely beautiful scenery by
using the ferry instead.
Amalfi was beautiful. Small but it was very pretty. Had my most
expensive gelato here! €5 and it wasn't even that good. Flavor
Limoncello was quite good (refreshing), but Banana wasn't so good
(almost like made by banana extract).
Sorrento was beyond what I expected. Thought Amalfi was the main
course and Sorrento was a side dish. I was all wrong. On some level, I
though Sorrento was more special but you'll have to see it coming on a
ferry. The whole town built on a cliff, or so it seemed to me!
Absolutely amazing view! The water so clear, you can see swimming fish
at the ferry pier. Loved it!

No comments:

Post a Comment