Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Closer look: Manarola, Vernazza, Levanto-Cinque Terre, Italy Day17 25Aug2010

Closer look: Manarola, Vernazza, Levanto-Cinque Terre, Italy Day17
25Aug2010

Easy day after the big hike yesterday. Leisurely stroll in Manarola.
This may be a better town to stay if you want to avoid the infinite
stairs that you find in Riomaggiore. But it gets really quiet after
7pm (summer time), not so convenient for daily supply shopping and the
train doesn't stop here as frequent as Riomaggiore and Monterosso al
Mare.
The Cinque Terre Card allows free train rides to Levanto, so I decided
to have a look. Unlike the 5 villages, the beach/waterfront is about
15 minutes walk from the train station. I guess this place is a good
alternative if you are stuck with a car. Nothing much here really
grabs me (had a gelato though), so I caught the next train back to
Cinque Terre.
Vernazza has a grey sand beach with cloudy water. Not wanting sand in
my clothes and bag, I decided to lie on the rocks (like lots of people
here) by the pier to work on my tan and read the book. By dinner time,
I headed back to Manarola and had a delightful meal. The day was
nicely wrapped up by a relaxing walk on the Via Dell' Amore back to
Riomaggiore from Manarola.


Sent from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment